REBUILDING AMERICA’S INFRASTRUCTURE: President Donald J. Trump is calling on Congress to come together and invest in 21st century infrastructure for all Americans.
- The President urges Congress to pass a bill that delivers new and important infrastructure investment to rebuild our crumbling roads, aging bridges, crowded airports, and other infrastructure.
- Building up and upgrading our infrastructure is key to improving the quality of life for all Americans.
- Repairing and building new infrastructure will reduce traffic congestion, improve road conditions, and boost commerce across the Nation.
- We must also invest in visionary projects that leverage cutting-edge technologies in order to dominate the industries of the future and lead America into the 21st century.
- Mastering new technologies such as 5G wireless, advanced manufacturing, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, rural broadband, and more is vital to our future.
- We must work to promote efficient permitting processes for infrastructure projects so a six-month project does not turn into a ten-year odyssey.
- Efficient permitting is especially critical for energy infrastructure and the ability of Americans to access reliable, affordable, and domestically-produced energy.
STATE OF DISREPAIR: The President supports bipartisan action to fix our infrastructure.
- The American people deserve a modern transportation system that reduces traffic, cuts down on commute time, and is safer and more reliable.
- World Economic Forum’s most recent Global Competitiveness Report ranked America’s overall infrastructure 9th in the world and the quality of its roads 11th.
- Every day, tens of millions of Americans drive across structurally deficient and aging bridges.
- More than 50,000 American bridges are rated as “structurally deficient.”
- Around 4 in 10 American bridges are more than 50 years old.
- Many roads Americans depend on are overcrowded and in poor condition.
- One out of every five miles of highway pavement is in poor condition.
- More than two out of every five miles of our urban interstates are congested.
- The seaports and inland waterways that facilitate commerce and transport American goods require continued investment.
- Many of our ports will require additional improvements to support larger cargo ships.
- Locks and dams on high-traffic inlands waterways need investment.
- Rural Americans are being left behind as a result of outdated infrastructure.
- Eighty percent of Americans that lack sufficient broadband access live in rural areas.
RESOUNDING PUBLIC SUPPORT: The American people know full well the state of our infrastructure, and public polling shows they resoundingly support increased investment.
- Seventy-nine percent of Americans say increasing infrastructure investment should be an “extremely important” priority for the new Congress, according to a recent Politico poll.
- More than 70 percent of Americans support increasing Federal investment for roads, bridges, mass transit, and other infrastructure, according to a February 2018 YouGov poll.
- Ninety-three percent of rural Americans say investing in infrastructure is important to creating jobs in their community, according to a Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation poll.